Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Modesty In An Immodest World

MODEST,adj. 1.having or showing a moderate or humble opinion of one's own value, abilities,ect.; not vain. 2. not forward; shy or reserved. 3. decorous; chaste; decent; now, eps., not displaying one's body.
(Webster's New World Dictionary, Senior Edition)

In today's society, this word and its meaning is generally looked on with disdain and contempt. Modesty is a symbol of a by-gone era and has now become extinct. But now, more than ever, we need to display more modesty and less of our body.

Camping in a state park, my family was informed that we were not allowed to swim in a river with "street clothes." When we went to the office to inquire why, the ranger told us that there was no possible way we could swim safely with long pants (on the boys) and a long skirt (that was me). Now, trust me, I have been swimming in a long skirt and a T-shirt for as long as I can remember, and I'm still here, aren't I? So, contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT have to wear those few pieces of strings, they call bikinis or those "modest" one-piece bathing suits. You CAN wear normal, every-day clothing.

Today, with so many pedifiles, homosexuals, and other ungodly perverts running around out there, do you REALLY want your family running around with no clothes on?? If people would be smart about this sort of thing, we wouldn't have to worry about kids being kidnapped!


America needs to wake up!

In our churches, too, this problem is creeping up. Our pastors preach against ladies wearing tight clothing, but now that's the style-so tight that you can see every bump and wrinkle, and preach against shorts and against pants on women, but, again, there's compromise. Parents put little shorts on their babies and think 'well isn't that cute!' But it's not, how is that conditioning them for when they get older? They grow up wearing shorts and then all of a sudden they aren't allowed wearing them when they're teens? God help our churches!


And then splits in skirts. I don't know how many times our pastor has preached against split skirts, and yet, the slits keep getting higher and higher. I mean, come on, ladies, the back of our legs aren't THAT good that we need to show them off to anyone who cares to look! Varicose veins and cellulite isn't very attractive! COVER IT UP!!!

I don't claim to know all there is to know about modesty, but I know what I've been taught, what I've seen, and the examples I've been given. My parents would have a mental breakdown if I came out of my room looking like half of the girls at the local Wal-Mart! I'd be back in my room faster than you can blink, and trust me, I wouldn't be sitting for a while either!


As Christians, we have a duty to be different from this world. If we are so against nakedness and we, ourselves promote it, the world would laugh in our faces. We must separate.

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you," (2 Corinthians 6:17, KJV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really funny, that a ranger would tell you, "You can't do what you've been doing all your life. Don't you know you just can't do that??!?" I can imagine the looks on you guys' faces when he said that.

Just think how much safer everyone would be if we all dressed modestly!!