Friday, August 18, 2006

My Big Brother

My big brother is going away.

I don't like that sentence, but it's true. He'll be leaving next May for college in Florida, and even though we don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, I will miss him.

Scott is a year older than me and miles taller...well, not literally. He'll be graduating and leaving for college in the same month, and we get to drop him off. A friend of ours is also going to that same college, so Scott will have someone he knows there with him, but I'll still miss him. He'll be taking the same classes that I will be taking when I go in two years, but that doesn't help either.

He has lived across the hallway from me for...ever it seems and sometimes I'll go in just to sit on his bed and talk. We'll play darts or read, or something like that in the evenings until mom tells us it's time for bed. I think I will feel that I have lost a friend.

We used to fight all the time when we were little, but now we just disagree on things. We can talk about the college and sports and airplanes and life in general and disagree, but it never gets old talking to him. He is going to be driving soon, he has his permit, but not his license, then he'll get a car.

I think I am trying to convince myself that he's really going to go away.

After sixteen years of seeing him around, it's going to be odd not seeing him every day or every other day. It's going to take some getting used to, setting out four plated instead of five, having an empty bedroom across the hall...all of it will take some getting used to.

I think it is a good thing he is going away, we are getting closer as a family. Dad is trying to teach him how to drive better, mom is helping him get stuff ready for college, and Paul and I are just sitting around, looking on-preparing ourselves to miss him.

We will, I think, miss him a lot.

No comments: