Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Sweet Sixteen

"Sweet sixteen and never been kissed, right?" Those were the first words out of my aunt's mouth as she called to wish me a happy birthday. It's only by God's grace that I could answer with an honest "Yep!"

Growing up in a Christian environment, I was taught about purity as a young lady. I understood at an early age that 'virginity' is not a dirty word, and even before I got saved, I vowed I would keep it until I got married.

Society would have you believe that premarital sex is OK, they teach and promote it in public schools, they encourage it by the styles of clothing on the racks of stores. But, premarital sex is NOT OK! It is of the devil!

In all of my sixteen years of life, I have never held hands with, kissed, or dated a guy, and my relationship with any boy has NEVER gone past friendship. The world today, views me as a nut, an oddball, because of my beliefs, as they do any Christian individual. And, looking around at today's society, I am proud to be an oddball. I know several girls my age, who have had sexual relationships with their boyfriends, and I see the mess it has left in their lives. They are left with a baby to care for and no way to support it, often relying on family members to raise it.

Godly young ladies today, are being tempted daily to be just like the world-'friends' are urging them to do wrong things just because 'everybody's doing it!' But as temples of the Holy Ghost, we Christians are admonished in the Bible to be set apart from the world. "I beseech ye therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your body a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:1,2 KJV)

No comments: